How to use the word "Suggest" and "Recommend"?


These two words are very important for upper level pupils who need to write guided writing essay in Section B. Let's start the explanation now. 

  

What is the common mistakes about "suggest" and "recommend"?


Example 1 is wrong because the word "studies" is supposed to be in subjunctive form.
1.
I suggest she studies hard for the test.
 ×
2.
I suggest she study hard for the test.
a
3.
I suggest that she study for the test.
a


How to use "suggest" and "recommend" correctly?

1.
I suggest John to visit Taman Negara
×
2.
I suggest ^ to go to Taman Negara.
×
3.
I suggest him to visit Taman Negara.
×
4.
I suggest he go to Taman Negara
a

Example 1: You should never put an infinitive between a noun and the verb as this does not involve any causative verb. 


Example 2: The next part of the sentence omits a subject therefore it is wrong. After the word "suggest" is a clause(relative clause) thus it must have a "subject"

Take note: Never use an infinitive after the word "suggest"

You should not say “I suggest to go to the library."
Example 3: This is wrong as mentioned before that this is a clause hence it involves a subject and a verb. It should not include any object. 

I suggest him to go to school. ( wrong )
I suggest that he go to school. (correct) this is informal 
I suggest he go to school. (correct) this is formal 
I suggest them to sleep early. ( wrong )
I suggest that they sleep early. (correct) 
I suggest they sleep early. (correct)

Example 4: It is correct because the word "go" is in the subjunctive form. 

Always remember that there is a clause behind the word "suggest". Hence, the below sentences are also correct for example.

I suggest walking there together. (correct) because "walking" is a gerund(which is a noun).
I suggest eating at the restaurant. (correct) because "eating" is a gerund.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2018 UPSR SECTION C FINAL REVISION IMPORTANT TOPICS